Scott Stirling wrote:

> I ask, why would it?  It's not analyzing Java source to build a dependency
> graph of the Java packages (a la JDepend or Pasta).

Sure it does not, there was an idea floating around, of a plugin that
would analyze a source directory and suggest a set of dependencies based
on the contents of the local repository.

> It's sorting a set of
> jar file names. In Maven a dependency is just a jar file name and nothing
> more, right?  Unfortunately, there's no distinction between a static jar
> file/resource dependency and an inter-project dependency where a project
> dependency indicates a need to execute one project (and spit out the named
> jar) before executing the dependent project.

Well, there is no distiction from a single project's point of view.
There is fundamental distinction when you build a cluster of projects
with the reactor -- in such case their interdependencies are taken into
consideration, to bulild them in the correct order.

>>Have you placed the inter project dependencies properly?
>

> I believe so, but how would I know?

You don't know what the parts of your project depend on? How do you
manage to build it with Ant or anything else?

> For example, all my projects have a
> dependency on the jar produced by the kernel-system project, except
> kernel-system itself.  Shouldn't kernel be sorted first?  It's not.  It
> comes out second to last in one sort, and fourth in another.

This either means that your POMs are not right, or you are being bitten
by some obscure bug.

> Doesn't anyone use Maven in a waterfall/cascading build, where one project
> builds, outputs a jar, next project picks up that jar, builds, outputs a
> jar, next project uses the jars produced by the previous two projects, etc.
> That sort of thing?

I believe Vincent is building his company's 300+ projects in several
clusters, so he's probably the best source of information on this
subject.

R.