Hmm, I think we need to remember here that Apache Projects are actually owned by the community at large. If someone wanted Maven to do something more, and a consensus of the developer community liked it enough to vote them in, then Maven would develop in the direction of those capabilities (look at the long term development of Tomcat and this process can clearly be seen). Individual opinion of the current developers factors into its path of growth, but only through the process of lazy consensus. Unfortunately, the smaller the group is, the less democratic and more dictatorial this process becomes.

I really just think the real here argument boils down to documentation. If there are configurable properties in Maven that are currently hidden from the user because of a lack of documentation, then this argument is pretty "moot" because the capabilities are already there. You can designate the location of your test directory, as such, the rule is that you can, the default is where the majority of the Maven development team would like to see it (especially when its undocumented).

Jason van Zyl wrote:
There has never been an attempt to accommodate the myriad ways of doing
things. Maven is not Ant.

Yes, but Jelly is far more flexible a scripting env. than Ant. This makes Maven far more flexible, there will always be a myriad ways of doing things because you've based Maven on a Scripting platform which promotes "myriadity".

-Mark