On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 07:00, Moritz Petersen wrote:
> I just started a Cocoon based project and realized that the Cocoon
> 2.0.4 project is still not mavenized.
> In this e-mail I describe how I mavenized cocoon. I would like to hear
> some suggestions and comments about my procedure.
>
> First I realized that Cocoon 2.0.4 contains about 57 libraries (not all
> are necessary for my project, but to get Cocoon running with Maven, I
> decided to include all dependencies. Writing all the dependencies into
> the project.xml is a pain. So I wrote a small application, that creates
> all dependencies in project.xml and copies the .jar files from the
> WEB-INF/lib/ folder into the local maven repository.
>
> What do you guys think? Is this the right way, or is there any better
> way?

With a little bit of interaction with the user a tool like that could be
great. I once had a tool that scanned the sources and mapped import
statements back to dependencies, is this how you're doing it? Just
curious. I was using a little JavaCC parser that Pete and I whipped up.

> I want to create a Maven plugin to convert any old-fashioned project
> (with an individual lib/ folder) into a mavenized project. Does anyone
> else see any use for that?

Definitely, I think many people would like a way to convert projects
safely over to using Maven.

> And finally what do you think about the strategy, copying the files
> into the local repository. This is difficult for team development. I
> think about automatically creating an archive (zip, jar or tar) that
> contains all the dependencies, ready for copying to the remote
> repository. Is that useful?

You're talking about two things here,yes? I think the person responsible
for the conversion would make sure the dependencies of the project are
copied to the remote repository and then the first time your developers
build the mavenized project the dependencies will be pulled down. For
the conversion I think you must simply make the dependencies available
to the Mavenized project.

> -Mo.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl