I figured out how to do this, and want to pass along what I learned in
case anyone else has the same question.

According to several Ant resources I read, you cannot yet do this with
Ant tags, although it is frequently requested. Luckily Maven uses
Jelly, where it is easy. You can simply do this:
  <preGoal name="test:test">
    <j:thread>
      <attainGoal name="start_test_server"/>
    </j:thread>