This is because Java uses it - system property ${user.home}.

I think Maven's current handling is correct as you can override the local
home, plugin dir and repo dir. The only difference should be that
build.properties should also be loaded from MAVEN_HOME_LOCAL - and there is
an issue in JIRA to provide it whenever myself, one of the developers, or
you get the chance to make a patch :)

Cygwin is great for doing a lot of stuff - but java with absolute paths
isn't one of them. The only possibility I see here is to designate all
absolute paths must be specified in ~/build.properties or
$MAVEN_HOME_LOCAL/build.properties, and have the maven shell script running
under cygwin pull it apart, cygpath and absolute paths and pass them on the
command line via -D, but I'm not sure that kind of separation is a good
idea. For now we'll just have to make our absolute paths windows paths :(

Cheers,
Brett