Now Mike, once you've gathered together all the responses, your challenge is to put it all into the wiki in a human digestible form!

For this, you will be rewarded with many riches (or perhaps just a feeling of oneness with the Maven documentation).

Cheers,

Ben

Colin Sampaleanu wrote:

You can do something like this in maven.xml:
<!-- install the xmltypes jar to the local repo, since people using our main
jar will also need that one -->
<postGoal name="jar:install">
<ant:property name="jardir__" value="${maven.repo.local}/${pom.artifactDirectory}/jars"/>
<ant:mkdir dir="${jardir__}"/> <ant:copy
file="${basedir}/lib/core/xmltypes.jar"
tofile="${jardir__}/${pom.artifactId}-xmltypes-${pom.currentVersion}.jar"
overwrite="true"
/>
</postGoal>

However, whether this is a good idea is another question. In this case, the jar in question is manually generated from stuff in this project, so it makes some sense. But if it is just another jar that is in the local lib dir which is really standalone, and it is not on ibiblio, then you are probably better off defining another remote repo which is actually local (alongside ibiblio), and put the jar there. E.g. in the project.properties:

# override remote repo since we want to also point to a cvs based remote repo
# to get some jars not found at ibiblio
maven.repo.remote=\
file:${basedir}/../../shared/repository,\
http://www.ibiblio.com/maven

Regards,
Colin

Michael Mills wrote:

After spending a lot of time looking at (what little) documentation
there is and trying out various maven command lines I was wondering how
(other than manually creating the dir in the maven.local.repository) you
get any old jar that is required for a build into your local repository.

If I have a jar: bob.jar that is currently in the 'lib' folder of my
project, which is currently using ant to build with that path added to
my project.classpath, how do I get bob.jar into my local repository so
that I can add the following to my maven project.xml file and get it to
compile:

   <dependency>
     <id>bob</id>
     <artifactId>bob</artifactId>
     <version>1.0</version>
     <type>jar</type>
   </dependency>

I have tried to use the "maven jar:xxx" goals but they don't seem to
work, also "maven repository:xxx" don't work (I have got a local
webserver running and maven.repo.remote=http://localhost stored in
build.properties in the user.profile directory).

I would have thought that you could cd to the lib folder and execute a
maven command to register bob in the local repository as version 1.0?
This does not seem possible.

In general I guess I am asking: what process is intended for files that
A, are not open source (i.e. in the standard maven remote repo) or B, do
not have the associated src files (and hence can not be built by a maven
project where you can use "maven jar:install").

-Mike