I can use
${pom.getPluginContext('maven-WHATEVER-plugin').getVariable('XXX')} only if
that WHATEVER plugin was invoked prior to the pre or post Goal I'm working
with.  I think it has to load that stuff from the plugin's
project.properties, I don't yet know of a way to "easily" load those
properties files.

I was using the xdoc plugin, and for some reason wanted to include the
target/docs in my WAR.  Since it's always convenient to use the default
properties when they work, I wanted to use the xdoc properties.
If I run:

$ maven xdoc
$ maven war

rather than:

$ maven xdoc war

then the xdoc properties would not be available to my war:webapp postGoal
using the

${pom.getPluginContext('maven-xdoc-plugin').getVariable('maven.xdoc.dest.dir
')}  (or whatever it was).

What if I have several versions of the plugin, including a SNAPSHOT?  Maven
seems to know how to load the latest and greatest, perhaps I'd have to write
a plugin to do all that for me:  maven-loadUninvokedPluginProperties-plugin
or some such.