I'm insufficiently familiar with xdoclet, I'm looking for a "hook" to get
myself into it.

in fact I know maven better than I know ant ... have become somewhat
familiar with the jelly scripting from looking at the plugin.jelly in the
plugins.  The xdoclet plugin is huge compared to all the others, approx
11,000 lines of code.

I was hoping that a good way to do it would be to use webdoclet to help me
generate a struts-config, this would show me how to set things up in
maven.xml and build/project.properties, which preGoal and/or postGoal events
I should program to, when and where, that kind of thing.

I'm using ant copy-filters comfortably in building a war subproject whose
artifact is a dependency in an ear subproject, it appears to me that xdoclet
in this frame of mind is a similar thing, only a great deal smarter.  I have
jmx working for me comfortably, getting this WAR deployed, scm, scp, cvs ..
all that stuff.

What should I put in an Action I'm writing, for example, to have webdoclet
write information to the struts-config?  How do I set this up in maven.xml?
Are there any webdoclet or other *doclet processes which can help me with
struts tiles?

I'm convinced that I want to use xdoclet when I start implementing the "uber
project" with ejbs and jboss and jmx and all that ... deployment xmls up the
wazoo so to speak.