> There is a special type of deployer in maven-artifact plugin called
> "External", which was supposed to be used for executing
> arbitrary user
> defined programs (like putty). This deployer is
> "half-finished".  A new
> protocol sounds like a good idea.  Leif: Patches and
> documentation are
> always welcomed :)

That sounds like the best approach.

> If we have solution based on  external  programs which supports SSH
> (SCP)  which  works  both  on Windows and Linux, we can think about
> switching
> from deploy plugins like to artifact plugin.

Great!

> Generaly I am trying to provide pure java, ready to use
> out-of-the box solution.

An admirable goal, but in the case of this SSH library, it is too hard to
configure and not as feature rich, where executing external apps is easy and
works well most of the time. It'd just be nice not to have to ask windows
people to download cygwin, putty, or whatever.

Giving both options as discussed is the best of both worlds.

> The main problem with artifact plugin is that it is poorly
> tested. I wonder how many people are actually using it and
> what kind of experinces they have with it... Wagon has alredy
> much more unit tests and I am working on integration unit tests.

I think the artifact plugin is better designed and better featured, but not
complete enough to be used everywhere. It's close though. I'm a little
disappointed anyone calling war:deploy gets forced into it though...

Cheers,
Brett