Yea there are advantages and disadvantages either way.  A big advantage of
keeping the existing repository is when I see jar packages I'm not familiar
with, there is a better change I'll look into them out of curiosity.  I've
learned more about third-party tools since I've started using Maven on the
majority of my projects.  :)  That is really a good thing.

At the same time a DNS layout is also beneficial for better layout
scenarios.  We have so many projects at my work that the groupId/artifactId
is not an excellent approach, but we will make do with it.

I agree with you that both ways have their advantages and disadvantages -
and with the new Maven-Wagon my understanding is that both ways will be
supported.  :)