Wouldn't it just be better to add the <dependencies>...</dependencies> to
the <unitTest> block rather than adding some type of property
<type>test</type>" to the regular <dependencies>...</dependencies> area??

I'd would be glad to try to test something, but I'm still pretty green with
Maven.  If I can just update the "test" plugin in the standard 1.0-rc1
world, I can probably manage it.

Like this (I just found the <resource> needed to include my *.xml in the
TEST only path.

        <unitTest>
            <includes>
                <include>**/**Test.java</include>
            </includes>
            <excludes>
                <exclude></exclude>
            </excludes>
            <resources>
                <resource>
                    <directory>source/test</directory>
                    <include>**/*.xml</include>
                </resource>
            </resources>
           <dependencies>
              <dependency>
                    <groupId>xxx-yyy</groupId>
                    <artifactId>test-dep1-code</artifactId>
                    <version>3.2.0</version>
               </dependency>
              <dependency>
                    <groupId>xxx-yyy</groupId>
                    <artifactId>test-dep2-code</artifactId>
                    <version>1.2.3</version>
               </dependency>
            </dependencies>
        </unitTest>

test-dep1-code.2.3.0.jar and test-dep2-code.1.2.3.jar would only be added to
the classpath during junit runs.

Thanks for your interest -- and any help you can give.
Cary