I was also surprised to see plugin:deploy having quite a different
semtantics than jar:deploy and dist:deploy.

I wrote the following goal to accomplish what I would have expected a
plugin:deploy goal to do:

<goal name="plugindeploy"
                description="deploys a plugin to the central repository"
                prereqs="jar">
                <ant:property name="artifact"
value="${maven.build.dir}/${maven.final.name}.jar"/>
                <ant:property name="groupId" value="${pom.groupId}"/>
                <ant:property name="type" value="plugin"/>
                <attainGoal name="repository:copy-artifact"/>
</goal>

Maybe this helps...

Oliver