I know this is really late to be mentioning this, but would it be
possible to mark a site as unreachable for the duration of a build once
it can't be reached the first time?  Then, continual failure on the same
site for multiple dependencies wouldn't be such a problem...of course,
you wouldn't want to mark it unreachable if you received a 404...

Anyway, just food for thought.

-john

--
John Casey