You can't easily.  It's a general problem with plugins that "affect" the
compile set, i.e. generation plugins such as antlr, castor etc, and
plugins that should "utilise" the compile set, e.g. java:compile,
javadoc, and ide plugins.

Personally I think it should all be addressed in the same way across all
the plugins of this nature - there are a few variations and different
people have done it different ways.  At the moment, most generation
plugins include a preGoal for java:compile in plugin.jelly to ensure
they are called before the compile occurs.  java:compile is just one
goal that requires the generation goals to have occurred (or at least
the part that adds the generation path to the src set), and people have
solved their plugin for this case as its typically the most used.

javadoc, eclipse et al. need this modification to src.set to have
occurred for them too.  One easy way to ensure that this has occurred is
to perform java:compile as a preGoal to the goal you are using
eclipse/javadoc.  This does more work then is needed, but it would
ensure that any generation modification have occured.  Another way would
be for the affecting plugins to be aware of all projects that utilise
the src.set and add a preGoal to them, but this would get bloated very
quickly.

There seems to be something missing in all of this though, a way in
which a plugin can say that is a "src.set affecting" plugin and a way in
which a plugin can say it's a "src.set utilising" plugin.  Then all the
utilising projects would have to do is iterate down the list of
affecting plugins and call their src.set modifying goal, then do what
they need.  I think this is similar to the way in which the reports work
for site generation, i.e. they register themselves, and site calls them
back as and when needed.  This would be a fairly huge undertaking for
someone to sort out though.

So for the eclipse plugin to work in the short term:
1. it needs to utilise the maven.compile.src.set rather than
pom.build.sourceDirectory - this is a similar issue to what people have
been discussing re the javadoc plugin.
2. the plugins need to interact somewhat to ensure that the src set has
been populated with the generated src.set.  This can be done by adding a
custom preGoal in you maven.xml file for eclipse to call java:compile,
or you could isolate the src.set affecting goal in xdoclet and call that
goal instead.

Kris.