Due to some issues that are visible in JIRA for MSITE, I found that
some trickery was needed to get the site plugin version 1.2 to work
for a multi-module project with a structure of top-level, parent,
users-of-parent.

In the top-level POM:

    <properties>
<!-- where to deploy the site -->

<site.deploy.base>scp://hudson.basistech.net/home/projects/rex2009</site.deploy.base>
<!-- where to see it when deployed -->
        <url.base>http://hudson.basistech.net:8280/projects/rex2009</url.base>
    </properties>

    <url>${url.base}</url>

    <distributionManagement>
        <site>
          <id>rex2009.website</id>
          <url>${site.deploy.base}</url>
        </site>
    </distributionManagement>

In each child POM, including the parent:

<!-- what goes in the POM for a project named 'common' -->

    <properties>

<site.deploy.base>scp://hudson.basistech.net/home/projects/rex2009</site.deploy.base>
        <url.base>http://hudson.basistech.net:8280/projects/rex2009</url.base>
    </properties>

    <url>${url.base}</url>

Then, I have not customized site.xml for the top-level project, and I have.

I find that, with this, mvn clean site:site site:deploy

works.