Jason van Zyl wrote:

So I started yanking out confluence docs and converting them to apt:

http://www.xmlmind.com/aptconvert.html

After realizing the internal format of confluence is crap I just started
using apt itself which I think is a better format anyway (I was
convinced by Pete Kazmier) but I still have my confluence to apt stuff.

Nice! Does it use the RPC interface (can't remember if it's XMLRPC or SOAP) to pull all the stuff, or do you need to do a manual export and then it processes the dowloaded xml files?

I've got lots of stuff if you want to look at it.

Does it have a form of maven plugin? Or anything that could be easily adapted as such? If so, what about importint it into the plugins sandbox? I could look at it later this week.

We already have full apt -> xdoc, to go the other way probably wouldn't
be hard at all to create an initial import.

Should be even easier than the other way. Since xdocs are xml there are plenty of options ranging from xslt or vsl (not used in maven AFAICT) to jsl and java class traversing dom4j or plain dom documents.

> But ultimately I think
> I'm going to make something that uses the apt format and by pass
> confluence, it's format and radeox all together. Regexes are proving not
> to cut the mustard. I think the apt format would make an idea wiki and
> blog format but I'm all for using confluence for now. Pete Kazmier
> started the work and I finished the job of getting apt's license changed
> from LGPL to the MIT license.

> It would probably take
someone a week to whip off a simple webapp to edit apt documents online
which would be very cool.

I don't think I would swithch from Confluence to a webapp that some one whipped off in a week any time soon :-D But sure, diversity is good. I don't know about Confluence internals, but maybe in the future the Atlassian guys will give an option to choose the rendering engine at the time of deployment. This way people could use Radeox, or APT, or their favourite toy rendering library if they care enough to wrap it and toss it into the webapp.

Rafal

PS. I'm tracking the m2 progress, and I'm really happy with what I'm seeing! I wish I could take a part in that...