I talked to Benson on IRC....   The solution (more like "hack") that CXF uses
to accomplish this is to use dependency plugin to unpack the source jars for
everything being shaded and re-run the javadoc plugin on that unpacked source.

It's a complete hack, but it at least "works" for what we needed it for.

Dan

On Tue August 4 2009 9:03:03 am Benson Margulies wrote:
> I have a multi-module top-level project. The first set of modules
> build ordinary JAR artifacts, and each has some javadoc with it.
>
> The next module just runs maven-shade-plugin to combine then into a shaded
> jar.
>
> Finally, there's a module to build a release package.
>
> I am not seeing how to organize the aggregation of the javadoc. The
> shade project is not itself an 'aggregator' project, and adding an
> execution of javadoc:aggregate doesn't seem to do anything.
>
> Do I have to unpack the javadoc artifacts of the contributors with the
> dependency plugin to accomplish the task at hand?

Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org
http://www.dankulp.com/blog