I'm using maven-dependency-plugin to make a custom directory of dependencies. The trouble is that I can't find a way to delete the outputDirectory before the plugin runs so I can be sure there aren't any old files left over in it.

I tried to use maven-clean-plugin to do it, but it insists on deleting the entire /target directory, which I don't want. It looks like there is an excludeDefaultDirectories option available on the command line, but putting <excludeDefaultDirectories>true</excludeDefaultDirectories> in the <configuration> section doesn't work.

Any other suggestions?