Oh, you right. But you already answered your question! [?]
Use excludeDefaultDirectories. It works fine, really. Be sure you use 2.3
version of maven-clean-plugin. (as it mentioned in documentation this option
work only since 2.3)

<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-clean-plugin</artifactId>
<version>2.3</version>
<configuration>
<excludeDefaultDirectories>true</excludeDefaultDirectories>
</configuration>
</plugin>