Yes, it's common to have the code in a separate module from the
webapp.  It makes it easier to do unit testing of the code separately
from integration testing the webapp.

I'm not sure how that relates to your original question though.  I see
the jar module and the war module... where is the assembly plugin
configured?  (Or, were you using 'assembly' in a generic sense?)

If you're just trying to convince Maven not to put your JDBC driver in
the war, try using 'provided' scope for that dependency.

--
Wendy