We have a large maven project where each component (or group of artifacts)
each uses dependencyManagement to control what versions are used and to
specify exclusions, etc.  At an individual component level this works well.

You can think of our project as being lots of new maven/components (A, B, C)
that act as a facade around a legacy component D...so D is at the bottom of
the dependency graph.

However we really need D's dependency management to be at the top level
too.  That is, lots of changes happen at the legacy component D and we don't
want to have to manually track dependency changes there and copy to the top
level.

Is there a way in maven to say, at the top-level, use D's dependencies for
me too?  If not, how hard would it be to write a plugin that does this?