They should. Two reasons why they aren't that I can think of right now are:
1. Their scope is provided
2. The war plugin is configured to exclude them (param 'packagingExcludes'
or 'packagingIncludes').

Run help:effective-pom to get the effective pom to see the complete picture.
mvn install -X would also give you (a lot) more info on what is going on.

/Anders