wrap your bash scripts in a bash script that checks the exit code and
creates a file based on the exit code.

then attach an execution to the verify phase that checks your file.

Essentially, the rule for integration-test is to _never_ fail the build...

hence: failsafe-maven-plugin as an alternative to surefire... it
splits the test execution from the test result checking to ensure that
the post-integration-test phase always runs

-Stephen