I'm guessing that when you do the release of the child module, a
snapshot-version of the parent is actually being used as that's what your
child pom specifies. The snapshot-version is in your local repo (or a remote
repo) and still has all the properties in the scm url (it's just the
released version in your corp repo that has the properties substituted).
Thus, the effective-pom will have a scm url with the properties and when
substituting those with the child's values, the scm url is created correctly
(for the child project).

If this is the case, I would say that it is a kind of bug in the release
plugin as the resulting effective-pom (based on the release version parent
pom and the release version child pom) is not what was used when doing the
release. As you can tell from you're case there are some differences. In
your example it's for instance not possible to retrieve the code base based
on the scm url of the release child project (the scm url inherited from the
release version parent pom).

Regarding the proprties substitution in the parent pom people normally
complain that the properties are NOT substituted. And now you're complaining
they are...:-)

/Anders