A configuration item that is a list can't be merged in a profile. See the
"modules" element as a configuration item, like the JavaEE version you want
to use. If you override the value in the profile, you can't expect it to
merge the elements that are set in the main build (this is a global behavior
of Maven btw).

Why don't you add a dependency section in your profile instead? Why
quartz.jar should be added to the application context? Maybe you need to use
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-ear-plugin/generate-application-xml-mojo.html#includeLibInApplicationXmlinstead.

Regards,
Stéphane