> suppose I specify dependency in war pom file  for a servlet-api 2.4, it
> works  there, that is any other dependecy whihc has transitive dependency
> with a lower version  ot servlet-api   is ignored , but suppose my jar
> project has transitive dependency for the same with a lower version , it
> will not  know about the version decalred in war project and it  puts the
> lower in ear file , so I end up with two differnt versions of the same jar
> in my ear , please tell me hot to avoid this?

Is this actually happening to you, or a concern that it might happen
to you in the future?

If it is happening, then add an exclusion in your ear pom under the
dependency to your jar so servlet-api is not included transitively via
your jar and only via your war. But this should not be happening
(generally) unless perhaps the artifact moved (changed groupId or
artifactId).

Wayne