Let me introduce what I'm doing in my company. We have some
maven-java-simple projects used in other projects. These projects are
considered common code. Then, our projects are all maven-j2ee-simple
projects. These projects have a root pom. Then, we have inside a folder
called servlets, with at least a webapp inside. Then, a projects folder,
with some jar modules inside. Finally, we have the ear folder, with only a
project that generates an ear. We have another folder, called ejbs, to
create ejbs inside, but, as we are using Spring framework, we don't have any
ejb yet. This is the structure of a project:

/-root-project/
    -/ear/
    -/projects/
    -/servlets/
    -/ejbs/

--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" Albert
Einstein