On 02/02/2010, at 1:46 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> In Maven 2, only to ensure that the first plugin declaration encountered
>> (usually by putting it in the root) contains all of the desired plugin
>> dependencies.
>
> It was in the root. However, since modules run first, the instance in
> a module won, so I had to put the dependencies there.

Is the root not also the parent of the module? The only reason I said root was
because it should be consistently inherited into the children (Which may have
to be empty, I'm not sure if the dependencies lists are correctly merged in
some versions either).

It's definitely fickle - the best I've found is:
- put it in build > plugins of the topmost parent that will use it (not plugin
management)
- don't add any dependency to modules that will use it, just the additional
configuration / executions
- make sure it is in build, not reporting for checkstyle, etc. type plugins

Anyway, glad you got it sorted.

Cheers,
Brett

--