The exclude tag is for specifying artifactId:groupId as stated in the docs.

I don't understand why you don't want to include the classes? If you have a
sar project but don't want to include some classes, why do you have them in
that project? Or could it be that you're trying to do a jar AND a sar in the
same Maven project?

/Anders