> The case I'm currently looking at would take many months of work
> to refactor to split the modules up, whereas a build system is a build

Many months for a complete refactor, but couldn't you make a pretty
good effort in just a few weeks, at least hit some of the low-hanging
fruit etc? Making more Maven modules should be pretty low-cost if
you're really converting everything over to Maven anyway.

Or is *any* refactoring beyond the bare minimum required for the new
build system out of the question? Arguably, moving files to new
modules rather than using includes/excludes *is* part of that minimum
effort IMO.

Fowler's refactoring book and Feather's legacy code book are great
resources for this kind of work, if you don't already have them.

Wayne