At this point I cannot see why I would mix SNAPSHOT and final versions
of my artifacts as dependencies. (This is a standalone product, the
only things depending on it are our tools that create test databases
etc.)

Apart from this, is there any danger in using the 2) scheme, i.e.
always having 1.0-SNAPSHOT as the development version?

Also, if I want to release my milestone versions, what is the best way
to name them? Options that spring to mind:

1) 1.0-m1, 1.0-rc1
2) 1.0-M1, 1.0-RC1
3) 1.0.m1, 1.0.rc1
4) 1.0.M1, 1.0.RC1

And what shall I call the final version? 1.0? or 1.0.GA? How is Maven
going to decide which is the never? Is it important?

Lóránt