+1
Personally, I took some time to try to do this with scripts, etc. as
described above, being somewhat daunted by the prospect of yet another
learning curve (CI).  I found it's certainly doable, but I keep having to
invest time in coming up with my own solution for one issue or another
(e.g., having a different settings.xml for enterprise ("official") builds
than for individual developers, who wouldn't be free to deploy to the
corporate repo, etc.

Once I decided to take a look at CI, I found that the learning curve wasn't
bad at all, and in the course of a few hours put an end to all that
tinkering with scripts, etc.  I happen to use Hudson, and I like it, but
there's other good ones out there.

I would suggest that you want ready support for release builds.

Mark