This seems like a very specific use case. I think it's more to the point
to say that many people (including, I suspect, 100% of Maven developers)
use the same workstation to work on projects which are deployed to
different repositories, e.g. apache, codehaus, <shudder> java.net, a
corporate repository, etc. It doesn't make sense to deploy an apache.org
project to the codehaus repository or vice versa. Nor do you want to
deploy corporate artifacts to the java.net repository. Thus, artifact
deployment/distribution is project-specific.

However, in all of those cases, you can use the same mirror of central.
And which mirror you pick should be based on your environment, not the
particular project. It should either be the closet mirror or a "nearby"
caching repository manager.

If you want build reproducibility, you should be using release artifacts
and only reference repositories with immutability rules. You should be
able to reproduce a build using an entirely different mirror (again,
assuming repository immutability). If you reference mutable
repositories, you lose build reproducibility regardless of what you put
in your pom or settings.xml.

Justin