I am a confused about where repositories need to be defined.

I have my repositories defined in my settings.xml file under my default
profile.

<profile>
        <id>default_profile</id>
        <activation>
                <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
        </activation>
        <repositories>
                <repository>
                        <id>archiva.internal</id>
                        <name>Internal Release Repository</name>
                        <url>
http://2e02057b.aessuccess.org:8085/archiva/repository/internal/</url>
                        <snapshots>
                                <enabled>false</enabled>
                        </snapshots>
                        <releases>
                                <enabled>true</enabled>
                        </releases>
                </repository>
                <repository>
                        <id>archiva.snapshots</id>
                        <name>Internal Snapshot Repository</name>
                        <url>
http://2e02057b.aessuccess.org:8085/archiva/repository/snapshots/</url>
                        <snapshots>
                                <enabled>true</enabled>
                        </snapshots>
                        <releases>
                                <enabled>false</enabled>
                        </releases>
                </repository>
        </repositories>
</profile>

I thought this would tell Maven where to store and retrieve all my
artifacts.  But when I run a deploy it gives me the error

Deployment failed: repository element was not specified in the pom inside
distributionManagement element or in
-DaltDeploymentRepository=id::layout::url parameter

If I define the repositories in the pom using the distributionManagement
element it works fine.

But this seems confusing to me.  Why do I have to define them in both
places?

Tim McGinnis
717 720-1962
Web Development
AES/PHEAA
This message contains privileged and confidential information intended for the
above addressees only.  If you
receive this message in error please delete or destroy this message and/or
attachments.

The sender of this message will fully cooperate in the civil and criminal
prosecution of any individual engaging
in the unauthorized use of this message.