A while back I did something like this with the Jelly threads package.
Roughly:

  <j:thread>
    <java classname="com.mycompany.MyServer"
          dir="${maven.test.dir}"
          fork="yes">
      <classpath>
        <path refid="maven.dependency.classpath"/>
      </classpath>
    </java>
  </j:thread>

Maybe you can do something similar, but use Ant's exec instead of java
task? More info on Jelly thread tags can be found here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/jelly/libs/threads/tags.html

  Jeff

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]