I don't think I can do that easily since that would require rebuilding and
redeploying the modified projects as the new packaging type.  Maybe I could
fetch all of the dependency POMs with something like go-offline and modify
them in my local repository?  Yuck.  I hope there is a nicer way, but I'll
consider this if there are no alternatives.

I'm thinking that modifying the existing dependency plugin tree builder code
might be a better solution.