Hi,

Using Artifactory you can attach any number of named metadata to a deployed
file (or folder).
This metadata can be either XML or property-based. It is fully searchable
and can be attached and retrieved using simple REST queries (as long as the
end user has the "annotate permission"), so there is no need for
much custom development.
Basically, to add and consume custom metadata to/from a zip you only use to
use simple REST commands to a URL in the form of
http://host:port/path-to-artifact:metadata-name,
which is very lightweight on the repository. You can find more info about
this here: http://www.jfrog.org/confluence/x/CQCq.
The list of named metadata is also available though REST API (
http://www.jfrog.org/confluence/x/C4K5) and since metadata is searchable you
can even use it to manage your artifacts by manipulating search results
found according to metadata queries (promote/move, copy etc.), but that's a
different story :)

Hope that helps,

Yoav
http://www.jfrog.org/