Hi Eric,

I don't know if my practice is "best", but I certainly advise you to unpack to
the ${project.build.directory}, since
a) it's deleted during clear
b) you don't want to mess up your source directories, especially if you use SCM

true.

And yes, you then need the buildhelper.

Yes, the builderhelper-m-p does the job; the reuslting POM's not pretty, though.

However, reading your message makes me wonder why you're unpacking a dependency
at all. I don't know your use case, but if you use the resources, you could
just load them from the classpath.

No, unfortunately, I cannot do that. I have to build a JAR which has a specific internal structure (a couple of directories containing further JARs and sources) which is then unzipped by a third-party application during its execution. Not my design choice, but one I have to live with. :-(

Best wishes,

Andreas