From: Eric Rotick [mailto:pc.gree...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:22 PM
To: users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Advice on version control

This might be more to do with SCM than Maven but as Maven seems to have
the handle on most things I thought I'd ask this list first.

It is clear that the version contained in the pom is vitally important
and the process by which a version or revision number is incremented is
clear. Unfortunately, someone made a mistake of making a significant
change to some source and re-released the jars without changing the
version. The result was that the client application would not talk to
the server in certain conditions.

Basically, given our current procedures, this was a problem waiting to
happen.

Although it is clear what needs to happen it eludes us how this is
enforced. It seems that we need the ability to write snapshots any
number of times but non snapshots can only be written once and then no
more.

Hmm, I've just thought, maybe this is what the likes of Nexus and
Artifactory would do, but as you've probably guessed we don't use
anything like this.

Could anyone offer advice or practices to stop this happening again.

Thanks.

This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, dissemination or copying of this email is prohibited. Taifook
Securities Group, its group companies and their content providers ("Parties")
shall not be responsible for the accuracy or completeness of this email or its
attachment, if any, which could contain virus, be corrupted, destroyed,
incomplete, intercepted, lost or arrive late.   The Parties do not accept
liability for any damage caused by this email.