Here is my final update,

I could not bind to the package phase as described in the documentation.
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/usage.html (I copied
the template, set the variables as needed and issued 'mvn package' but the
copy was not triggered)
Maybe someone could shed some light on what I did wrong?

I configured it for use on command line as described in the second part. I
used the following template in my superpom:

<plugin>
             <configuration>
              <artifactItems>
                <artifactItem>
                  <groupId>${project.groupId}</groupId>
                  <artifactId>${project.artifactId}</artifactId>
                  <version>${project.version}</version>
                  <type>${project.packaging}</type>

 <destFileName>${project.build.finalName}.${project.packaging}</destFileName>
   <overWrite>true</overWrite>
                </artifactItem>
              </artifactItems>
              <outputDirectory>/mydirectory</outputDirectory>
            </configuration>
      </plugin>

Of course I'm setting the finalName for every project - something I had to
do anyway due to unrelated problems.

Thanks,
Dave