I think it is more important to put a proper structure in that can be used
going forward with Maven 3 that works better than the current site plugin
than to maintain backwards compatibility form a pom perspective.

As I understand it maven 3 will have on par support for the site plugin in
terms of features, but rely on a better way of configuring it in the pom.
Since there are enough hooks in maven to make sure the right maven version
is used I think this is a totally reasonable approach.

It will be good to be rid of the reporting section in the pom. I can wait
for maven 3 with working reporting - exciting. But until then sonar it
pretty damn awesome to play with too ;-)

manfred