I don't see any reason to do this. It won't make it any smaller,
unless you compress the JAR - but if you are worried about space keep
the WAR packed in the container and compressed and you won't gain
anything from packing the classes.

You can still add a manifest to a WAR. I'd recommend against doing this.

- Brett