Perhaps there is a bug on Mac. I do what you say and get this:

[INFO] [INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] [WARNING]
[INFO] Profile with id: 'release' has not been activated.
[INFO]

pom.xml:

            <plugin>

<artifactId>maven-release-plugin</artifactId>

<version>2.0</version>

<configuration>

<tagBase>svn://saoj-la.dyndns.org/webapp-test/tags</tagBase>

<connectionUrl>scm:svn:svn://saoj-la.dyndns.org/webapp
-test/trunk</connectionUrl>

<goals>install</goals>

<releaseProfiles>release</releaseProfiles>

</configuration>

</plugin>

        </plugins>

        <finalName>HelloWebApp</finalName>

    </build>

    <profiles>

    <profile>

    <id>release</id>

    <build>

    <plugins>

 <plugin>

        <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>

        <artifactId>exec-maven-plugin</artifactId>

        <executions>

          <execution>

          <phase>install</phase>

            <goals>