Does anyone have a "Best Practice" already written for this?

From what I understand:
a) since releases are immutable, you can only deploy a release once.
b) you are allowed to deploy snapshots as often as you want
c) a human being needs to decide when you are starting to build releases.
d) you can use alpha, beta, release candidates RC1, RC2, RC3, etc. to identify releases prior to a cleanly numbered release. Someone once wrote a forum note about this, I think. e) different parts of an application can be at different stages in a release but this does create a need for careful management and some consideration in a continuous build environment. We got tired of (and ran out of time for) changing release numbers on modules that did not change as fast as the application. For example, our release 1.10 of the overall application depends on messaging utility 1.8.3 since the messaging utility has not changed since 1.8.3 was released. We have over 60 projects in our portal application and only 3 people in development so we can not change and rebuild and rerelease 55 projects just because 5 modules got upgraded going from 1.9 to 1.10. As we moved more functionality into services, we got more stability in the modules and it appeared that we were spending too much time redeploying modules with new versions and the same functionality. We decided that it was alright for release 1.9 of the ContractAdmin war to have a dependency on 1.8.3 of the messaging system jar. We do have some aggregation jars that help manage this by creating a single 1.10 OurLibraries jar that has the right dependencies of the utilities such as messaging.

It does require a bit of planning and coordination where a decision to add a function to the messaging utility to accommodate a new function in a dependent module has to be addressed by the entire team and those modules that use the messaging utility need to have their dependencies changed and also need more testing than they might have got if they were not changing or their dependencies were not changing.

Not sure how this relates to other environments and I do not think that this is a candidate for a "Best Practice" until others have used it and found that it solves a problem in a certain development environment. It is probably not suitable for large teams where the cost of coordination exceeds the cost of upgrading releases. For a small team, where rereleasing 55 modules can be avoided by a few extra question in 30 minute planning session and a 15 minute review prior to going into test and a short conference or e-mail when a module has to be changed that was not on the original list for the release, this appears to work.

Ron