I'm concerned that the circle of congratulations here is somewhat
oversimplifying this.

I've brought Maven into my day job.

I've arranged all the code involved to follow the maven way of doing things.

And yet, I have some POM files that are veritable thickets of XML, and
attract a fair amount of unfavorable commentary from the people who
work for me.

Howcome? Well, convention over configuration is great ... *when the
situation is covered by the convention*. There tends to be a steep
step function in complexity from a trivial POM to any other.

For just one example, consider a POM that uses jetty with failsafe to
run integration tests against a web container. I could come up with
some other examples where, with no use of antrun, my poms are way too
long and verbose to be easily read or digested.

Or, consider the fun and games involved in JNI usage, which forces me
to wrap all my poms in makefiles to get the environment set correctly.

In another realm, the site plugin is a never-ending source of
frustration for some of us, given it's tendency to run the javadoc six
or seven times.

I don't hate on Maven. But I think that some people who show up on
this list in a state of frustration get pretty short shrift.