Doing the wrong thing and not using an IDE with a POM editor is not a good recipe for a smooth development cycle. I will admit to occasionally editing XML but that is for extreme cases while you are getting set up..

If you don't like XML:
1) Get your development workflow Mavenized
2) Get a Maven Repo set up
3) Restructure your projects to fit the way Maven works
3) Use an IDE that supports Maven with a proper human oriented editor - Eclipse STS is very good at this.

Then you will have no need of XML editing and no need to screw around with command line Maven or custom plug-ins or custom goals. You will not spend a lot of time in this forum moaning about the unfairness of life and the difficulty of using Maven.

Once you start using Maven properly, it is a very high level tool for building Java applications such as:
Java WebServices
Java Servlets
Java Portlets
Java Standalone applications

If you are building something else, my comments may not be relevant.

Ron