If I am looking for an artificat and have its artifactID and want to find
the versions available in public maven repos' (maven central, etc).   What
might be recommended way to do that?

Do I have to already know in advance which repo's to try?  E.g. maven
central, mvnrepository.com etc.   Or is there a better (more sane..) way to
do this?

Here's a specific case:  I am looking for gwt-servlet   I think the latest
version is 2.1.0-RC1.   But i have been going in circles trying to find out
where a mvn repo is for it.   This is however just the latest case: I have
been in this pattern of confusion for maven artifacts a number of times
already.

thanks