Jason, if you do that can you post the link in this list too, please?  I would
like to read it and I very seldom go check blogs, but I check my email daily.
:)

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason van Zyl [mailto:ja...@maven.org]
Sent: Sun 10/24/2010 6:03 AM
To: Maven Users List
Subject: Re: [Repetitive]: Maven does not live up to its promises

Kenneth do you mind if I use the body of this rant in a blog entry? I will
leave it verbatim and won't quote anything out of context.

There are many people who misunderstand Maven at a fundamental level, but in
sum total not many Maven users or people attempting to use Maven, actually
traffic this list. It would probably be more instructive to have your rant and
my answers in a place where more people can see them.

Would that be OK?

On Oct 23, 2010, at 5:15 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> First, note that I did tag this as repetitive: You don't need to be reading
> it if you don't want to be rehashing recent issues.
>
> <beginning of rant>
> However, I want to give a concrete example of just why I dislike maven (and
> all other XML solutions) so far. I am trying to do what I think should be a
> reasonably easy thing to do--upload onto github (or something similar)
> current documentation for the project I have hosted on github. So far the
> best solution I've seen involves making another branch of my project and
> including the documentation there. This is fundamentally wrong (the docs are
> _part_ of the project), but I'm not blaming maven here. It's probably a git
> thing I don't yet understand.
>
> However, once we get past that, the pom files necessary to upload the docs
> are daunting, to say the least.
>
> Even more than that, though, the pom files are fundamentally unreadable. Oh I
> don't mean you can't puzzle through them in an afternoon or so if you have
> the time. Of course you can. But (and I think this deserves to be in caps),
> XML FILES ARE FUNDAMENTALLY WRITTEN WITH THE EASE OF THE COMPUTER, NOT THE
> HUMAN, AT HAND. I mean, that's just a simple statement of fact, not an
> opinion. I just don't get how people can be so oblivious to this. Would you
> really want to program in a dialect of XML? How many people do you know who
> do so? Do you really think that all of the work that has been done on parsers
> and compilers over the last thirty years has been in vain because,
> realistically, humans should just program in XML? I open up an XML file, and
> unless I'm quite familiar with the "dialect" of XML in use, simply
> understanding the structure takes at least half an hour. THEN I need to
> understand the content. There is too much redundancy, too few structural cues
> to indicate meaning, too few keywords (yes, they're important!), too much
> nesting, too little ordering in that nesting...I could go on.
>
> Of course people will dispute this. They're wrong. If they were right, we
> would have had something like XML for all our programming needs twenty years
> ago. Sorry people, you're just plain wrong.
>
> Now, what are the claims made for (or implied by) maven:
> 1) That it is declaratively, not procedurally, based.
> 1-a) Whoop-te-do. So are makefiles. Sure, they've accumulated a lot of crud
> over the years (and a rewrite _like_ maven was probably necessary to clear
> this out), but makefiles are, at their core pretty simple. You have a build
> target. It depends on other build targets. You build those other targets, and
> then you build what you're working on. Is this revolutionary?
> 1-b) I've mentioned this before, but Prolog has been doing declarative
> programming for years. Without obscure semantics. With lots of extra
> expressive power, like list manipulations, arithmetic, etc. etc. With an
> understandable syntax. With lots of extra libraries. Would it have really
> [...]

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Three people can keep a secret provided two of them are dead.

 -- Unknown