The point of XML is not that it is a language in the way natural or programming languages are.

The point is it provides a standard machine AND human readable way of representing structured data. Yes, it's not terribly fun or straightforward to edit XML in a text editor. That's why XML aware editors exist. If a suitable DTD or schema exists, the XML editor can keep you away from stupid syntax or misspellings that take time and energy to track down while you're executing your thing.

Because XML is a widespread standard, there are lots of XML parsers and generators out there. The "problem" with Maven isn't that it uses XML, it's that there isn't (as far as I know) aren't amazing tools to help you write the XML. The Maven plugin for Eclipse provides some support, but frequently defaults to "use the XML tab." The XML editor may not ensure you have the correct tags but at least it helps you get the structure (spelling and closing) correct.

Another helpful tool is "tidy" -- frequently when I'm done editing an XML -- such as a copy/paste from an online example -- I can use tidy to detect gross errors reformat it nicely.

In any event, Maven does many things for free that I couldn't do nearly as quickly without it.