Im trying to setup some build profiles for our various build environments
(dev, qa, prod, etc).  but I cant get the 'dev' profile to be active. The
envType property is set to a default value of 'dev' in my top level pom, but
it will sometimes be given on the command line, and in that case, activate
the appropiate profile for qa, or production.  The problem is I cant get the
dev profile to activate by just setting property values inside my pom.

Fragment from my pom:
<properties>
    <envType>dev</envType>

<project.reporting.outputEncoding>UTF-8</project.reporting.outputEncoding>
    <fwVersion>SFP401</fwVersion>
</properties>

and then the profiles:
<profile>
    <id>dev</id>
    <activation>
      <property>
        <name>envType</name>
        <value>dev</value>
    </property>
    </activation>

based on the documentation I would think the dev profile would be active all
the time.  but when I run 'mvn help:active-profiles'  I see:
Active Profiles for Project 'myCompoany:app:pom:2.1':

The following profiles are active:

- nexus (source: settings.xml)

however if I run:  'mvn help:active-profiles -DenvType=dev'  then I see:
Active Profiles for Project 'myCompany:app:pom:2.1':

The following profiles are active:

- nexus (source: settings.xml)
 - dev (source: settings.xml)

what am I missing here?